Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cupcake Calendar 1/09/08

My first attempt from my Cupcake-a-day calendar for 2008. I peaked ahead and was really excited about making these ones. I think I overcooked them a little bit, the picture on the calendar showed chocolate oozing from the cupcakes. But the tops especially were still moist and had a brownie texture and taste. It seemed like a lot of ingredients (specifically butter and eggs) for 12 cupcakes, but they came out well, so I'll go with it! It seems to be that way with most of the cupcakes in the calendar.

The cupcake calendar recipes are from 500 Cupcakes by Fergal Conolly

Chocolate Mud Cupcakes

-1 cup (7oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
-1 1/3 cups (2 1/2 sticks) sweet butter
-5 eggs
-2/3 cup superfine sugar (I couldn't find superfine, and just used regular granulated)
-3/4 cup self-rising flower
-2 tbsp Dutch-process cocoa powder for dusting (I didn't use)

-Preheat the overn to 325. Place 12 paper baking cups in a muffin pan.
-In a double boiler, or a medium bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter together, stirring well. Leave to cool a little (I melted in the microwave, and think I overdid it a little. Next time I'll only do :30 seconds at a time, instead a minute)
-Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl until pale and thick. Fold the flour into the egg mixture and then stir in the melted chocolate and butter until well blended.
-Spoon the mixture into the cups and bake for 20 minutes. The cupcakes will be soft and gooey in texture and appearance (I was a little afraid of the gooey-ness). Remove pan from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Then remove the cupcakes from pan. Serve swiftly, dusted with cocoa powder.

Makes 1 dozen

The directions say to store in the fridge, but they were fine not in the fridge :)




I love the cupcake paper towels I had!

No comments: