Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Cake Decorating

In November, I started the Wilton cake decorating classes through Michael's. I'm really enjoying the classes, and am about to start Course 3 - tiered cakes and fondant :)

Below is my first decorated baked good. I tried writing on it, but I need more practice with that. I might invest in stencils to keep it even.

I didn't keep the cake recipe (I'm not too good with cakes from scratch yet!), but it was a basic white cake recipe found online. I used butterscotch pudding for the filling, and for the frosting, I used Wilton's buttercream recipe:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened I used 1 cup of vegtable shortening and omitted 1/2 cup of butter - Crisco sells premeasured sticks of shortening in 1 cup measurments
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract I used regular vanilla extract instead of Wilton's clear extract, which didn't change the color
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk I used water, which stores better.

In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.



No comments: